Saturday, October 30, 2010

17 Weeks into my pregnancy

We have been co-living with William’s mother and step-father for over a year now. For me to stay “sane” I suggested we stay in separate parts of the house as it is large enough to accommodate for both our “families’” privacy. I have mentioned this a few times before but for some reason it always ended in a negative debate.
We have finally come to a mutual understanding – and it is for the better – so we may all have our own privacy on both sides, though I think it’s especially vital for me & William as a young married couple about to have our first child.
The baby has started moving much more vigorously in the past three weeks. I started feeling the first “flutters” around 11weeks, “yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but I know my body and that’s what it was; my baby moving”. Our baby has since grown much stronger – I’m sure daddy will be able to feel baby move in a week or two (^^,).
Saturday, 16 October 2010.
We have moved all our belongings to our side of the house and I am so pleased to sit in my own lounge and for the first time make coffee in my own kitchen!
William had gone to band practice at 2pmand should be back at 4. I started arranging things in and around my “house” – I am so content in my own space! I started dinner when Will returned from band practice. I was barely done with the food when I discovered something shocking! I was bleeding, and had not noticed it all this time as I was so busy. But I haven’t had any pain...my heart froze! What’s happening is my baby okay – I didn’t really feel movement today! So I hurried to Will, who was relaxing in the lounge; all I said was: “You have to take me to the clinic – I’m bleeding”.
As we were driving, my heart sank right into my shoes – questions filled my mind... “Is my baby okay?”, “Are we going to lose this baby, but I thought it was special by the early movements I felt”, “What are we going to do if we lose our baby?”, “How will we cope?”, “Will we ever try again?”. By now I was sobbing my eyes out; I couldn’t bear the thought of losing this precious gift from God! So I started praying and pleading with God – just too please keep my baby safe.
We got to the clinic and there weren’t anything they could do, so the Sister referred us to Dora Ngenza Hospital.
“Oh my! I’ve heard so many stories – none of them good, if only we had medical aid! What if I have to be admitted, will I be taken care of and will my baby be okay?” thoughts ran through my mind, I even felt like telling William to rather leave it and go home. But instead, I kept quiet and prayed more within my heart, pleading with God for the safety of our baby!
We got to the hospital around 5pm and got lost a few times looking for the G.O.C. We had to open a new file for the hospital which William ran and did for me whilst my BP and pulse were checked in the waiting room.
A young handsome male Dr. came in, picked up my Maternity Case Record from the clinic and asked what was wrong. I thought to myself, I would simply die of embarrassment if this Guyni have to examine me, putting his hand in a place I’d much rather prefer any man stays away from; or get the beating of his life – unless of course it’s DH.
William finally appeared with my hospital file, after being “interrogated” on why he was opening a file for me. In the meantime the male Guyni had left to do his rounds in the maternity ward but would return once he’s done. A surge of relief came over me when a young female Dr. came in and took my file. I was relieved that I had gotten her instead as the examination was rather uncomfortable – need I say more.
It’s after 6pm and I haven’t stopped praying to God for our baby’s safety! To our relief the Guyni reported that the womb was still closed and that it must’ve been a threatened miscarriage though they still need to ensure the baby is healthy and they’ll do so with an ultrasound.
She guided us to a room where they would do the ultrasound in the hope of detecting baby’s heart beat. She left us in the room and soon returned with the Dr. who would be doing the ultrasound. A feeling so well known to pregnant woman around the world soon followed... Ice cold gel squirted onto my belly and the prodding of the ‘ultrasound stick’. The outline of a little person appeared on the screen, the last time we saw baby was at 5 weeks and he/she was just a little bean. They detected the heartbeat and with that my heart melted, a thousand silent cries rose from my heart to God for I knew baby was going to be just fine now. Standing at the base of the bed, William couldn’t see the heart beat so they turned down the lights and had him move closer. But just as he moved in to see the heartbeat, baby quickly moved out of sight! He finally got to see it though; even with baby trying it’s best to hide from daddy!
The Guyni told me to take it easy for the next two weeks and since I’m not working now that won’t be a problem. What a relief knowing that our baby is going to be fine – thanks to our Heavenly Father who hears all cries!

No comments:

Post a Comment